This is a “four-skills” Intermediate English class, but the emphasis will be on speaking and listening. We will work on both conversation and presentation skills.
Spoken Interaction & Presentation Goals
- “I can understand the main points of extended discussions around me, provided speech is clearly articulated and in a familiar accent.”
- “I can give a prepared presentation with reasonable fluency, stating reasons for agreement or disagreement or alternative proposals, and can answer a series of questions.”
- 2~5: Pair conversation practice, simpler topics
- 6~8: Comparison Poster Presentation
- 9~15: Pair conversation practice, simpler topics
- 16: Conversation Mid-Term
- 17~21: Pair conversation practice, more difficult topics
- 22~24: GapMinder Presentation
- 25~31: Pair conversation practice, more difficult topics
- 32 Conversation Final
Reading work through xreading.com. Goal: 80,00 words. Six-month subscription fee of ¥1200 that you will pay me individually.
- Conversation Mid-term (11.30) 25%
- Presentation 1 15%
- Presentation 2 15%
- Conversation Final (2.5) 25%
- Extensive Reading 20%
[ <60: fail; 60~69: not great but okay; 70~79: average; 80~89: better than average; 90~99 OMG!; ]
Attendance is mandatory. More than 4 unexcused absences will result in failure. Contact me anytime by email for any trouble you are having.