In this unit, we will examine the current situation of nuclear energy production. Our first news story is about a new worry with the ongoing cleanup at the Fukushima Nuclear Plant.
But first, some background information. Hard to believe that it’s been eight years since the Tōhoku Earthquake and tsunami. Do you remember what happened at Fukushima?
Let’s take a technical look at what actually happened in the reactors.
While so much has been rebuilt and recovered, it seems that eight years is still just the beginning of the story for the Fukushima Nuclear Plant meltdown that resulted.
Now, let’s look at recent news. Read this article from Voice of America about what’s happening at Fukushima these days.
Discuss the following questions with a partner, then write a one-paragraph comment (120 ~ 150 words) about the article in the reply below. Include:
- The topic of the article,
- Why it is or isn’t important,
- The three or four most important details,
- What you think about “Shinji’s” comment at the end of the article,
- Finally, any questions you have about the article or topic.