Advanced Writing ( 英語テクスト構成研究上級)
Students will gain experience in, and develop necessary skills and strategies for writing in English for academic purposes (EAP). This course will focus on written communication in typical modes of discourse encountered in academic English environments.
- Pretest / Screening; Introduction to “Modes of Discourse”
- Description 1: Using sensory information to paint a picture. Assignment 1: Describe a favorite place.
- Description Essays Due. Read arounds.
- Exposition 1: Making Logical Comparisons; Simple Object and Abstract Ideas
- Logical Comparison Workshop
- Comparison Essay Oral Presentations (Group Read Around)
- Exposition 2: Cause and Effect Introduction
- Cause and Effect Workshop
- Cause and Effect Essay Oral Presentations (Group Read Aloud)
- Argumentation: Identifying Logical Connections and Common Fallacies
- Argumentation 2: Strong and Weak Arguments
- Pro and Con Essay Assignment: Taking a Stand
- Pro and Con Essay Workshop
- Pro and Con Essay Draft 1 Conferences
- Pro and Con Essay Draft 2
- Make Ups and Reflections
- Descriptive Narrative: 10 pts
- Comparison Essay: 20 pts
- Cause and Effect Essay: 20 pts
- Pro and Con Essay Draft 1: 10 pts
- Pro and Con Essay Draft 2: 40 pts