What does the data show?
“Our World in Data is a non-profit website that brings together the data and research on the powerful, long-run trends reshaping our world: Through interactive data visualizations we show how the world has changed; by summarizing the scientific literature we explain why.”
According to Our World in Data,
- How much plastic does the world produce in a year?
- About how much have we produced all together?
- What happens to most of our plastic?
- How many times can most plastic be recycled?
- How much plastic ends up in the ocean?
- What percentage of plastic waste comes from packaging?
- Which countries produce the most plastic waste?
- How about per capita? (Look carefully!)
- How much plastic waste does Japan produce per capita? (Look even more carefully!)
- The last slides says, “If we all do a little, we’ll only achieve a little.” What does that mean? Do you agree? Why or why not?