In this unit, we will examine the current situation of nuclear energy production. Our first news story is about a recent “milestone” in the cleanup at the Fukushima Nuclear Plant.
But first, some background information. Hard to believe that it’s been eight years since the Tōhoku Earthquake and tsunami. Do you remember what happened at Fukushima?
Let’s take a technical look at what actually happened in the reactors.
While so much has been rebuilt and recovered, it seems that eight years is still just the beginning of the story for the Fukushima Nuclear Plant meltdown that resulted.
Now, let’s look at recent news. Read this article from Voice of America about what’s happening at Fukushima these days.
Discuss the following questions with a partner, then write a one-paragraph comment (120 ~ 150 words) about the article in the reply below.
- What was the topic of the article?
- Is this news story important? Why or why not?
- What were the three or four most important details?
- Why are each of those details important?
- What’s a question you have after reading this article?