This is a four-skills course designed to help you organize and express complex scientific and technical information in clear and simple English.
One of the most useful tools for communicating technical and scientific information in English is “information mapping.” We will be using information mapping techniques developed by Professor Lawrence Hunter.
The information structures that Hunter identified cover more than 90% of the content of research papers and presentations. The structures are as follows:
- 描写/説明 Description
- 比較 Comparison
- 順序 Sequence
- 原因と結果 Cause & Effect
- 推測 Inference
Data & Graphics
Many science and technology presentations involves communicating data through easy-to-understand graphics. In this class, one of your presentations will involve collecting, organizing, and presenting data through these simple, but critically important graphics.
Rhetorical Structures for Science and Technology
We will also explore a common rhetorical structure (“Situation, Problem, Solutions & Evaluation”) useful for understanding science and technology articles that appear in publications such as Science and Nature. Your final, and individual, presentation will use this structure.
- Course Introduction / Student & Teacher Introductions
- Information Structure: Description (& Comparison)
- Information Structure: Sequence / Presentation 1 Assignment
- Presentation 1 Workshop and Rehearsals
- Graded Presentation 1 (pairs) 25pts
- Information Structure: Cause & Effect
- Information Structure: Inference / Presentation 2 Assignment
- Presentation 2 Workshop and Rehearsals
- Graded Presentation 2 (pairs) 25pts
- Graphs and Data Essentials / Presentation 3 Assignment
- Classroom Survey & Data Analysis / Presentation 3 Workshop
- Graded Presentation 3 (group) 10pts
- Information Structure: Situation, Problem, Solution, Evaluation / Presentation 4 Assignment
- Presentation 4 Workshop
- Graded Presentation 4 (individual) 40pts
- Make-ups and Reflection
- Week 5: Sequence Presentation (pairs) 25pts
- Week 9: Inference Presentation (pairs) 25pts
- Week 12: Graphs and Data Presentation (groups) 10pts
- Week 15: SPSE Final Presentation (individual) 40pts
I will take attendance at the start of every class. If you come late to class, you will be counted absent. Each absence will reduce your grade by 2%.